1901 - 1911
Calgary’s population went from 4,000 to 43,000.
Original wooden “Second” Methodist Church built at 819 – 13 Avenue SW, site of present St. Elizabeth Hungarian Catholic church. “First” Methodist, now Central Church on Seventh Street. “Third” Methodist now Trinity Church in Inglewood.
New Church dedicated December 17
Pipe Organ built by Ludwig Madorre in Saint Hyacinthe, Quebec, restored by Casavant Freres.
First World War.
Basement under auditorium excavated. United Church of Canada formed.
Galleries added to sanctuary with donation from Lachlin McKinnon and dedicated to the memory of Southern Alberta’s Pioneer Mothers. Construction of new vestibule and front entrance, interior decoration and installation of new lighting system. Sunday School room used as gymnasium.
Second World War
Organ console from University of Alberta Convocation Hall.
Mortgage paid off.
Front steps reconfigured from East-West to North-South. Sunday School room soundproofed with curtain wall suspended from ceiling.
Harold Ramsay, choirmaster. Mr. Ramsay was a former vocal coach for Paramount Studios Hollywood and organist at the Rivoli Theatre in New York city, a founder of the Calgary Choral Society and director of the Conservatory at Mount Royal College.
Sunday School gallery and lower rooms enclosed. New stairway installed,.
Addition of church parlour, youth rooms and new kitchen
Youth Centre added
Corner lawn fenced
Church manse sold
Thrift shop opened in basement.
Declared a Registered Historic Resource.
Calgary Opera moves in
Renamed Arrata Opera Centre