Students Only Dress Rehearsals
FOR STUDENTS ONLY DRESS REHEARSALS
In an effort to help expand and inspire the creative minds of children and teenagers in Alberta, Calgary Opera is pleased to offer students the opportunity to see the final dress rehearsal of a mainstage opera in full sets, costumes, and make-up. Calgary Opera offers Calgary and surrounding area schools the chance to see the final Dress Rehearsal of our mainstage opera productions for a greatly reduced cost at only $15 per student (a limited number of adult chaperones are permitted).
We are now accepting School Bookings for the 2014-2015 Season
2014-2015 Dress Rehearsal Performances
Thursday, November 6, 2014 7pm
It was the most miraculous of moments in the bloodiest of wars. Inspired by true events, Silent Night tells a story of a short-lived spontaneous 1914 Christmas truce between enemy combatants on the western front in World War I as weapons are laid down when Scottish, French and German officers defy their superiors and negotiate a Christmas Eve truce. Enemies become brothers as they come together to share Christmas and bury their dead. It is a moving, dramatic and thought-provoking work.
The Marriage of Figaro
Thursday, January 29, 2015 7pm
The music of genius coupled with brilliant characterization, a superb plot and wonderful dramatization, The Marriage of Figaro is both a wonderful adventure story of danger and disguise, and a tableau of raw lust, impassioned naivety and sublime resignation. Its bubbling overture, its brilliantly crafted arias—which give insights into the personalities of the characters who sing them—and its lively and intricate ensemble scenes will win the hearts of all who witness it.
Thursday, April 16, 2015 7pm
It is the fieriest of operas featuring the most intriguing of characters. A naïve solider is seduced by a beautiful gypsy who’s obsession with her own freedom leads to a tragic finale. It is a sensational story of seduction, jealousy, and deceit, featuring some of the famous and recognizable music in opera, including "Habanera," "Seguidilla," and the rousing Toreador Song. Bizet’s masterpiece pulsates with the spirit of Spain, making it one of Opera’s most beloved works.
Emily Forrest, Education & Outreach Coordinator
Individual Bookings: (Calgary Opera Box Office)
GENERAL DRESS REHEARSAL TICKET POLICY
- Tickets are $15 and can be purchased by individual full time students with valid student ID (ID presented at Will Call if being picked up, OR in advance in person or via scan/email if tickets are being mailed).
- $15 tickets can also be purchased in group bookings through youth organizations and schools. Group bookings by schools and youth organizations require a ratio of nine youth/students to one adult. (exceptions apply to group bookings made by Lets Create an Opera schools, see below) Student ID is not required for group bookings by schools and youth organizations.
- Individual ticket purchases by students are limited to one per student.
- Group bookings receive every tenth ticket free of charge.
- Group bookings are organized through Emily Forrest, Education and Outreach Coordinator; Individual tickets are purchased directly through Calgary Opera Box Office.
- Adult supervisors are responsible for students while in the auditorium.
- Dress Rehearsal tickets are assigned seating in First and Second balconies.
- Tickets must be paid for by credit card, cash or cheque at least three weeks prior to the Dress performance. After this point held tickets will be released. If there are any amendments to the number of tickets required by a group booking, we would appreciate knowing as soon as possible and no amendments can be made after the three week point when the payment is due.
- Once payment is received, tickets may be picked up in advance (recommended for large groups) or at Will Call. Please note tickets may not be paid for at Will Call upon pick up. Payment must be received three weeks prior to the dress rehearsal.
- A Study Guide including links to downloadable music highlights is available on our website approximately four weeks prior to each rehearsal.
- All performances take place in the Jubilee Auditorium unless otherwise noted and begin promptly at 7:00 pm.
- ALL SALES FINAL-NO REFUNDS OR EXCHANGES. ( for group bookings, in the event of a snowstorm, tickets can be deferred to another performance)