Founded in 1972, Calgary Opera is one of Canada’s leading professional opera companies. For 48 years the not-for-profit arts company has made a name for itself nationally and internationally for its commitment to the development of Canadian talent and the creation of new opera works, including six world premieres. Through education and community outreach, Calgary Opera fosters a love of music and theatre in young people and provides opportunities for young artists to develop skills for successful professional careers in the performing arts industry.
Calgary Opera is a proud member of Opera.ca and Opera America.
Calgary Opera serves our entire community with innovative and inspiring operas in a multitude of forms and venues, and through educational activities and the training of young Canadian artists, while developing our people and managing our operations in a fiscally sound and efficient manner.
Calgary Opera aspires to be a leader in the opera field, known for its intensive collaboration with arts organizations of all sizes, a thoughtful balance of traditional classics and more alternative works, and a mix of larger-scale and smaller artistic projects. The company will rely on a network of diverse sources to recruit artistic and operational talent, with a strong commitment to develop and showcase top Canadian talent.
Calgary Opera is dedicated to:
• Promoting interest, awareness, and attendance of the operatic art form
• Presenting classic and contemporary operas, and other musical entertainments, at an extremely high performance standard
• Training and development of high-potential emerging artists
• The recruitment, development, and presentation of exceptionally talented performers, composers, librettists, directors, and designers, with emphasis on Canadian talent
• Childhood education and exposure to opera
• Telling Canadian stories through new works