Let's Create an Opera
2017 marked the 20th anniversary of Let's Create an Opera! Since 1997, this program has brought the magic of creating and performing an original opera to 57 Elementary Schools, reaching over 18,000 students.
We thank Enbridge for their sponsorship of this program. Without their support, Calgary Opera could not reach and teach the value of arts to next generation of Calgarians.
In 2018 / 2019, Let's Create an Opera will be in the following schools:
Roland Michener School
Guy Weadick's Video Journey Of Let's Create An Opera
Over the course of 10 months in 2016/17, Calgary Opera documented the process of Let's Create an Opera in Guy Weadick Elementary School. This amazing school was kind enough to open their doors, to let us capture the opera creation journey for the students, teachers and artists.
As a result, we created a short 5 video series highlighting the pillars of the Let's Create an Opera program, ending with the culmination of it all, Oceanville, Guy Weadicks' one-act opera!
Below is Video #1 - Introduction to Opera. To see the entire video series, use the dropdown menu on the right-hand side of this page.
If you would like your school to be considered for this great program, please contact:
Olga Primak, Education Coordinator
Calgary Opera will provide your school with:
- The application deadline for the following school year is December 1
- Program introduction for teachers with guidance on integrating activities into the classroom and curriculum
- An opera education presentation for the whole school including vocal demonstrations by Calgary Opera Emerging Artists
- A playwright to collaborate with students on writing the opera's libretto
- A composer to work with your music teacher and students to create the score
- A stage director to guide your students in staging the final performance
- A lighting and sound kit for use during your production, and a great rate on one of our technicians to operate the equipment
- Discounted tickets for students at only $12.00 per student to attend a Calgary Opera dress rehearsal
“The Let’s Create an Opera program is an amazing opportunity for our students and staff to experience a genre of music that is often less accessible in our small community,” says teacher and program participant Tashina Hanrath. “The students are thrilled to be creating something that they had previously attributed only to experts or historical arts and are looking at opera in a whole new way. We integrated our opera experience into our AISI project, using the arts to further unlock reading comprehension and literature for our students. As each part of this process unfolds, my excitement to see the next step increases.”