Students Only Dress Rehearsals
FOR STUDENTS ONLY DRESS REHEARSALS
Be sure to mark your calendars!
Calgary Opera is pleased to offer students the opportunity to see a complete opera at only $18 per ticket! Group seating is available, students must hold a valid student ID, and a limited number of adult chaperones is permitted.
We are now accepting School Bookings for the 2017/2018 Season!
2017/2018 Dress Rehearsal Performances
The Barber of Seville
Thursday, November 16 at 7:00 pm
By Gioacchino Rossini
Our season opens with this classic, one of the world’s most-popular comic operas. Escape into the hilarious high-jinx of Count Almaviva, as he plots against Doctor Bartolo (with the help of the town barber – and jack of all trades - Figaro), to win the love of the beautiful Rosina. Expect lots of laughs, and Rossini’s most famous music.
Thursday, February 1 at 7:00 pm
By Piotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky
We continue our mainstage productions with an epic Russian masterpiece. Tatyana is introduced to the dashing Onegin and immediately falls in love. He coldly rejects her. His choice to flirt with Olga, fiancée of his friend Lensky, results in a heart-stopping duel between the two. Years later, Onegin realizes he loves Tatyana, however it is too late. Escape into Tchaikovsky’s beautiful soaring arias and orchestral music. Expect to see a new Calgary Opera production of this classic!
Thursday, April 12 at 7:00 pm
By Giacomo Puccini
Our final production of the season is one of the world’s most-produced and beloved operas. Escape into this love triangle as Tosca, a famous opera singer, becomes the object of affection of two men, Scarpia, the Chief of Police, and her true love, Cavardossi, a famous painter. When Scarpia uses his influence to have Cavardossi killed, and attempts to rape Tosca, she kills him. Once Tosca realizes Cavaradossi is dead, she plunges to her own death. Expect to be moved by this romantically tragic story and Puccini’s superb score.
*Please note all of our opera’s display English surtitles above the stage!
School Group Bookings:
Calgary Opera Box Office
Individual Bookings (for voice/music teachers or parents of music students)
GENERAL DRESS REHEARSAL TICKET POLICY
- Tickets are $18 and can be purchased by individual full time students with valid student ID (ID presented at Will Call if being picked up, OR in advance in person or via scan/email if tickets are being mailed).
- $18 tickets can also be purchased in group bookings through youth organizations and schools. Group bookings by schools and youth organizations require a ratio of nine youth/students to one adult. (exceptions apply to group bookings made by Let's Create an Opera schools) Student ID is not required for group bookings by schools and youth organizations.
- Individual ticket purchases by students are limited to one per student.
- Group bookings receive every tenth ticket free of charge.
- Group bookings are organized through our Box Office at (403) 262-7286
- Adult supervisors are responsible for students while in the auditorium.
- Dress Rehearsal tickets are assigned seating in First and Second balconies.
- Tickets must be paid for by credit card, cash or cheque at least three weeks prior to the Dress performance. After this point held tickets will be released. If there are any amendments to the number of tickets required by a group booking, we would appreciate knowing as soon as possible and no amendments can be made after the three week point when the payment is due.
- Once payment is received, tickets may be picked up in advance (recommended for large groups) or at Will Call. Please note tickets may not be paid for at Will Call upon pick up. Payment must be received three weeks prior to the dress rehearsal.
- A Study Guide including links to downloadable music highlights is available on our website approximately four weeks prior to each rehearsal.
- All performances take place in the Jubilee Auditorium unless otherwise noted and begin promptly at 7:00 pm.
- ALL SALES FINAL-NO REFUNDS OR EXCHANGES TO ANOTHER DRESS REHEARSAL OR PERFORMANCE. ALL PRODUCTIONS WILL GO AHEAD AS SCHEDULED EVEN IN THE CASE OF INCLEMENT WEATHER.